How do we communicate a business message through a video?
The short and sweet answer is - TELL A STORY!
According to the scientist and researcher Jeremy Hsu, 65% of our day-to-day conversations consist of stories.
So let’s take a dive into the tips and techniques on how you can communicate your businesses messaging effectively through video storytelling.
Understanding your Audience
If you want to survive in today’s competitive world, you need to know your audience.
While crafting a story, ask yourselves two common questions
- What’s the story about?
- Who do you want to communicate the story to?
The answer will help you determine which message descriptors to focus on your business videos.
Building your story
We’ve all asked the question, “So what’s the normal of the story?” Figuring out your moral of your story (and keeping your audience in mind) is the easiest way to build your story.
There are various ways to brainstorm in order to build a great story:
1. Elevator Pitch
A great exercise to present your story in 45 seconds. The elevator pitch should include your product, the problem and the solution.
2. Mind Mapping
One of the best ways to brainstorm your ideas. You can use free digital tools like Coggle, Canva etc. to mind map your ideas and build your script for your video.
3. Follow the Three-Act Structure
A simple and common framework in the world of cinematic storytelling is the Three-Act-Structure. Can we use this structure for our business video? Absolutely.
It’s not a formula, but a guideline.
Identify the main character for your video, the character should relate to the viewers.
It can be a person or your product itself. The hero of your business video should represent your brand persona.
Act 1 – Setup
Meet Sally, she owns a social media agency and is extremely growth-oriented. She wants to create marketing videos for her clients every day and stay ahead of her competition.
Act 2 – Problem
Sally has access to different video tools and tries to make videos at least twice a month for each client. However, it’s too time-consuming and very expensive for her.
Act 3 – Solution
Sally finds Visuo, a virtual video producer. It creates a marketing video for her client in under 5 minutes. In addition, seems easy to use and implement into her business. The set up would make her overall workload with video marketing run smoothly. Sally decides to sign up, since there is no risk, and a possibility to provide her clients the value of more video and save both time and money.
Be Authentic and Entertaining
While telling your story, you need to be informative, entertaining and authentic.
If you create this list, you will be able to craft a story that relates to your business and at the same time that reflects your beliefs and values.
- Write down the word that best describes:
– Your company values
– Your product or service
- Write at least 5 positive descriptors that apply to both.
- Make comparisons between the lists you have created; it will disclose some common traits.
Outlining and drafting the script of your video
Once you outline your script, make a list of questions on why you plan to make the video, who the video will be targeted to, what’s the problem you’re solving, how are you solving it?
- The opening of the video should be attention-grabbing. It can include an emotional hook, interesting facts/figures or a relatable story.
- Address the problem the audiences are facing and show the purpose of your product or service.
- Present your solution and tell your audiences why it is the best solution, what are your unique features. Be concise and provide them with some interesting facts.
- Next, don’t forget to be authentic and genuine
- Lastly, your video script should convince the viewer to act. In your call to action, tell your viewers exactly what you want them to do and how it will benefit them.
Okay, now you have your perfect script ready!
If you are using Visuo to create your video, all you need to do now is copy/paste your script and select the voice to go with your video.
Within minutes, Visuo will create an amazing looking marketing video. You can send the videos to your client to review or post to social media.